Oh What A Week It's Been!

If you haven't heart already - The Iron Yard went public on Thursday that it's locations will be shutting down after all current students complete their courses. This, naturally, impacted a lot of us emotionally but I know, for myself, that I'm still in this to learn as much as possible. I'm incredibly lucky that the staff here has built the Raleigh campus together and they also will stick this out until the end.

Outside of that, this week was the final week of front end development before we move on to back end. Thursday and Friday we broke into groups and were inspired to begin our Hackathon project. Our theme was 'Mashup' so my team decided to do an arcade style page with multiple mini games. I, specifically, offered to do a Choose Your Own Adventure Game. I chose to write a 'tour' of Iron Yard's Raleigh campus. After a greeting and an input field for your name, you enter each room as you choose. The tricky part was to make sure that once a room was visited it could not be revisited.

I eventually wrote my code so that available rooms and rooms still left were two different arrays. My functions moved each room from one into the other until there are no rooms which then initiates another function. That function was the farewell function that had a goodbye message but also initiated a restart so the tour could be taken again.

My code is at the bottom if you'd like to test it yourself! Feel free to inspect it, I've left the evolution of my code in the comments!

https://victoriarainc.github.io/hackathon-01/


Comments