Web Concepts and Back End Languages

The last 48 hours have been super intense! Not only am I learning basic web concepts about how information is sent and received over the internet but also the language used to manipulate that information. Those languages are also built on packages which are chunks of code called modules. Those packages all have their own syntax that may or may not interact well with other packages that are needed.

My best analogy (roughly) is trying to create a custom greeting card for a customer. I have dozens of stamps and dozens of paper punches (these are analogous to modules because they are pre-made tools I use to create an embellishment that is then used in addition to my other crafting skills that make the card). These stamps and punches were all purchased at different places so not all of the styles and shapes line up with one another. I have to use a specific method to make those 'packages' work together to produce the card I have in mind.

All of this code is completely done in the back-end. Therefore, there is no gh-pages for you to see visually but I will link all of the code for you to browse through (if you dare). https://github.com/victoriarainc/week-05-day-02-daily locally produced this database:


The information for each and every robot above was given in one large object. I left that object in its own JavaScript file and linked it rather than coding above or below that giant chunk of data. The images themselves are links (just like the one I listed above to gitHub). The most difficult part of this project was to populate all of the information about that robot inside the page that you are brought to after clicking on the link.

If you follow the code in goof.mustache I accessed the information in data.js about that particular robot using mustache (a package).  This still sounds like a foreign language to me too. However, I seem to be grasping the concepts and understanding that different packages and different languages still use this similar logic with different syntax. Ready to dive-in!

Comments